"THE W0RD OF GOD"
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
There are many imitations of the Word of God in the English language, but only one Book can pass the test set forth in Hebrews 4:12. That is the Authorized Version of 1611, the King James Version. Note the six characteristics of the True Word of God:
1. The "Quick" Word. This means it is alive. It is the seed that bears life in itself. By it people are born again:
1Pe 1:23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. ."We do not have a dead Bible. It is living. It is inspired.
2. The "Powerful" Word. "Thus saith the Lord" is final authority. Power is a mark of the true Word of God:
Luke 4:23 "And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power."
The worlds were framed by it:
Heb 11:3 "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."
By the power of the Word of God things are now held together:
2Pe 3:7 "But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men."
3. The "Sharp" Word. "Sharper than any twoedged sword. " The sharp characteristic of the King James Version is seen in the fact that it is the only translation that is being re-translated. The purpose is to take the sharp edge off it. It cuts cross-grain with this present evil world.
4. The "Piercing" Word. It reaches to the innermost being. It goes where no other words can go. The outward countenance mav not appear affected, but no one hears the Word of God and goes away unaffected:
2Co 2:15-17 "For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things? For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."
5. The "Dividing" Word. Homes are divided by it:
Lu 12:41-42 "Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all? And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? "
Great dividing factor today.
6. The "Discerning" Word. Here is why so few people want to hear the Word preached. This is why so many feel they are being preached at. By it secrets of men's hearts are made manifest:
1Co 14:25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.