"How to be a Great Mother (According to Proverbs)"
Brought with permission from Pastor, Michael A. Jean
In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson officially proclaimed the 2nd Sunday
in May as Mother's Day. Since then, the popularity of Mother's day
as continued to grow. 20.8 million Americans will call their Mother
today and 125 million Mother's Day cards will be given (compared with 75
million to fathers). I'm glad we have Mother's day, but it is certainly
a shame that many people all across the nation actually need a holiday
like this to remind them of their Mother. It doesn't mean that they
have a bad mother, or that they are simply ungrateful, it most like means
that we have a disrespectful generation that doesn't honor their Mother
like the Bible commands. However, that is not the direction of this
morning's message. This morning, I am going to preach a 'how to'
sermon. I, a big ugly man, am going to show you ladies how to be
a great mother! I have put together 6 different ingredients and qualities
that would certainly help the mother (and others as well) according to
the book of Proverbs.
The steps to a great mother...
I.Marry the right man
- Prov:24:27: Prepare thy work without, and make it fit for thyself
in the field; and afterwards build thine house.
- The plague of many teenagers in America is the dilemma they
have of finding a spouse.
- The problem is that according to this verse, we are to secure
God's will for our lives before building our house (or family).
- If you are still unmarried in this room, then you need to make
sure that you marry the right man. You first secure God's will for
- If you are surrendered to full-time Christian service, then
that will narrow your candidates for your spouse
- Make sure you are equally yoked with the direction of God's
will for your life.
- Find your will and make sure that the person you are dating
is compatible with the direction you are going.
- May I take a moment to remind everyone that I don't encourage teenage
dating. The purpose of dating is to find a spouse and obviously there are
no teenagers ready for marriage while in high school.
-Those of you who are already married. You are already convinced
that you've married the one for you. You commit yourself. You
dedicate yourself. You will keep that commitment till you go to the
The first step for a great mother is to marry the right man.
II.Obey the Great Commission is a 2nd ingredient for great motherhood.
- Prov:11:30: The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and
he that winneth souls is wise.
- In order to increase in wisdom, you need to win souls
- People who go soul-winning are the ones who usually have their
lives together better than the rest of the world.
- You need to seek to obey the Great Commission, then you will
soon have children who will follow you in obedience because of your obedience.
- You will find that God will grant you the wisdom and clarity
needed in making decisions concerning the children's direction in life.
- Not just mothers ought to be soul-winners, but everyone in
this room who is able to present God's simple plan of salvation ought to
- By the way, the Great Commission is a command and not a gift
or a choice.
- Also, it is the solution to the world's problems. Win
them, baptize them, then teach them to win souls.
Marry the right man
III.Train your children is a much needed ingredient to great motherhood.
Obey the Great Commission
- Prov:22:6: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when
he is old, he will not depart from it.
- Please, if you are able to have children, then have them.
Don't be so stinking selfish of yourself and disobey God's command to be
fruitful and multiply.
-Sad to say that we have an entire generation of children that
have not been taught or trained in the ways of life.
- That is why so many 2nd and 3rd generation of children from
Christian homes often do not get saved.
- Train them in all the ways of life
- Train them in cleaning, sports, Bible reading, Prayer, Soul-winning,
tying shoes, changing clothes, chores around the house, brush their teeth,
take a bath...etc...
- I've come across way too many children that have not been taught
to mind their manners. They are rude and disrespectful.
- Teach them Please and Thank You!
- Teach them to respect their elders, make them call them "yes,
- Train them to come to Church, during all of the service hours.
- Quite frankly, mothers are the hope for the next generation
if they do what they are supposed to do and to stay home and train their
I said, marry the right man,
IV.To be a great mother, you are to Honor your parents.
then, obey the Great Commission,
Thirdly, I said, train your children.
- Prov:1:8: My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake
not the law of thy mother:
- Prov:6:20: My son, keep thy father's commandment, and
forsake not the law of thy mother:
- Let me give you future spouses something to look for in them.
If they are rude or disrespectful to their parents, even to their step-parents.
Then they will be rude and disrespectful to their kids or to you.
- You are no longer living under the house you grew up in, but
you continue to give your parents honor every chance you get.
- Show your children how parents should be treated and you will
likely be treated like that as well.
- How you treat your parents will be reflective on how your kids
will soon treat you. Rebellious teenagers will often result in a
soon to be parent of rebellious kids.
- You honor them, ask them for advice, help them in anyway possible
(physically, spiritually, and financially).
- By any means, don't let your parents run your life after you've
been married and moved out.
Guides to great motherhood includes:
V.Enjoying the Christian walk
Marrying the right man,
Obeying the Great Commission and being a soul-winner,
Training, teaching and showing your children out to live life,
and to Honor your parents (And your spouses parents!)
- Prov:29:18: Where there is no vision, the people perish: but
he that keepeth the law, happy is he.
- Enjoy your Christian walk with happiness and joy in your soul
- True happiness is found within the covers of the Bible
- You stay within the guidelines that God had laid down for you,
then you will find the happiness that God had set apart for you to have.
- The Bible is the fence that tells us that we have the liberty
and freedom within the confines of God's law
- While Sin is everything outside of that fence that leads us
into trouble and away from God. And every time you are away from
God, you cannot enjoy your Christian walk.
- Please, have a good time living the kind of life that God would
like for you to have!
Marry right man,
VI.Request, request, and request wisdom from God
Be obedient to the Great commission,
Honor your parents,
Enjoy your Christianity.
- Prov. 5-7: Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither
decline from the words of my mouth. Forsake her not, and she shall preserve
thee: love her, and she shall keep thee. Wisdom is the principal thing;
therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- Continuously get wisdom from God, this should be a constant
request to God.
- Request it over and over again because without the wisdom,
there is no understanding.
- Get as much as you can.
- Maintain a close walk with God.
- Read your Bible daily, study, and to meditate
- Pray continuously. Maintain an adequate prayer life so
that God will fellowship with you.
- Always, and always ask God for guidance and direction and wisdom
for help in making a decision.
- It amazes me how flippant we are in this area. Before
touching electricity, we'll read several books. Before taking legal
action, we'll consult a lawyer. For taxes on complicated issues,
we'll go to an accountant. But in making a decision in raising our
children, treating our husband, or living a proper Christian life, we fail
to consult God through prayer and His Bible. Just how stupid can
- Part of the wisdom includes going to Church and listening to
the preaching and the teaching of God's word.
Spell out the points I've made to you and you'll end up with MOTHER!
M- marry right man
O- obey Great Commission
T- train your children
H- honor your parents
E- enjoy the Christian walk
R- request wisdom from God continuously
Brought with permission from Pastor, Michael A. Jean