Decisions, Decisions Should I or Shouldn't I?
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin.
1 Cor. 6:12, 10:23
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.
Following are some questions to ask yourself when debating on a yea or nay. We have to remember it is not about what "I" want it's all about what God Says.
1. Is it right? From a Biblical standpoint
2. Will this bring me closer to another temptation?
3. Is there Scripture against what I am doing? (Yes, even in the OT, God does not change His mind.
4. Any doubt in my mind at all?
5. Will it cause someone else to stumble? I am responsible amen.
6. How does this look with Jesus in the context? Would He, Could He join me?
7. Will this be pleasing to God? Not everything displeasing is wrong.
8. Will this edify another believer? Build-up, encourages, better them, cause them to love God more, provoke them unto good works? We may say still, "but I want to", its not about US it's all about HIM. We have a great responsibility; we can provoke someone to go on to more than we could never see ourselves doing when we decide to ride the fence of sin.
9. Is it expedient? Compelled out of necessity? Again read verse 23 above, or is it romance/Things etc.?
10. Is it possible that I am being deceived or worse yet deceiving myself? Where did this concept originate? 2 Thes. 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
11. Does/Will it bring Glory to God? Verse 31: Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Don't forget to consider 1-2-5-20 years later?!? 2 cor 4:2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.
12. Will I have to hide to do this? 1 Cor 6:1-19
13. Is it somehow going to defy God's property? Myself?
14. Can I thank God for this? In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
-We are not to be involved in anything that we cannot with a clear conscious thank Him for. This idea or concept did not come from Him if we can't. Be it attitude, action or event. If you can't; Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin.
15. Can I give myself 100% to this? This goes for a child, a witness, singing, giving etc.
16. Have I bathed this thing in prayer? Asked God for this leading? Is there a desire to know? A desire for clarity? There is no issue in your life that God cannot settle. Peace comes from bathing in prayer. Ps 106:13 They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel: Phil 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
17. What does my pastor and my church think about this?