Seven Disciplines to Victorious Living
by Pastor Arthur F. Kohl
1. Keep Your Heart - Proverbs 4:23 The word "keep" means "to walk guard" around. Don't let any type of sin conquer your heart. Keep them out. Some examples are found in Mark 7:21-23.
2. Watch For Your Soul - Hebrews 13:17 The soul of a righteous man can be vexed (worn down) by worldliness. II Peter 2:8. We need to watch out for the world, or it will get to us and wear it down. Other scriptures to study: I Peter 2:11, I Thessalonians 5:23.
3. Rule Your Spirit - Proverbs 25:28, 16:32 The spirit of man is their emotions and will. Emotions like rage, temper, anger, depression, etc. can ruin you if they control you. With God's help, control your emotions, don't let them control you.
4. Captivate Your Mind - II Corinthians 10:4-6 "Bring into captivity every thought." The human mind can only think about one thing at a time. Thus it is not impossible for God to control your mind. Yield your mind to the Holy Spirit each moment. Ask Him to take control.
5. Bring Your Body Into Subjection - I Corinthians 9:27 The appetites of the body are called "the flesh" in the scriptures. You can control your appetites, or they can control you. Appetites include: eating, drinking, sleeping, sexuality, nervous system (often triggers urges to smoke, drink, use drugs, etc.) The Lord can help you with this if you'll surrender your all to Christ - Galatians 5:16, 24-25.
6. Tame the Tongue - James 3:8 It is a sign of perfection if we can tame the tongue. (James 3:2) The tongue needs to be bridled. Its power for good or evil is awesome: James 3:5-6, Proverbs 18:21
7. Commune With the Holy Spirit - II Corinthians 13:14 The Holy Spirit is a real person. He is God. He lives inside of us as believers. Talk to Him. Have fellowship with Him. Get to know Him as real as you know God the Father and God the son.